Radiographic Testing - Level II
Radiographic Testing Level II addresses the required training by documents controlling the certification program such as NAS-410, SNT-TC-1A and NavSea Technical Publication T9074-AS-GIB-010/271. Course content conforms to the training subjects listed in ANSI/ASNT CP-105, Standard Topical Outlines for Qualification of Nondestructive Testing Personnel. When combined with laboratory-type hands-on training under the direction of a Level II or Level III, this course will meet the total hours of training required by the applicable certification document listed above.
The training is divided into thirteen (13) chapters. They include:
1. Review of Level I data; applications of radiography; types of radiation; the atom; isotope production; decay process; measurement of radioactivity; specific activity; half-life; electron volt; energies of gamma sources and x-rays; ions and ionization; scatter radiation
2. ALARA; methods of protection against radiation exposure; inverse square law calculations; shielding and half value layers of different materials; half value layer calculations; posting requirements
3. Preparation for conducting radiation operations; gamma ray equipment; collimator; x-ray tube and operation; personnel monitoring equipment; survey meter operation and types; pocket dosimeter, film badge, OSLD, TLD, RATE ALARMS
4. Radiographic quality; sensitivity, contrast and definition; characteristic film curves; latitude; unsharpness; backscatter; geometric unsharpness; part geometry effects on radiograph
5. Film processing techniques; film structure and speeds; film artifacts; lead screen use
6. Measuring radiographic quality with IQI’s; Types of IQI’s; placement of IQI’s; exposure calculations and charts; film density and measuring of density; determining source to film distance; film viewers
7. Radiographic techniques; IQI placement and shims; Parallax formula; radiograph layout for neatness and accurate information
8. Computed Radiography (CR) and Digital Radiography (DR) terminology, techniques, and equipment handling are discussed; image intensifiers, linear diode arrays, DDA panels, line pair and contrast sensitivity gauges, and spatial resolution are also discussed
9. Terminology discontinuities, defect, false indication, non-relative indication, relative indication; linear vs. rounded indications; classifications of discontinuities; product discontinuities; service discontinuities
10. Welding processes and welding discontinuities
11. Film interpretation and evaluation elements; weld discontinuities; radiographs of actual discontinuities; casting discontinuities
12. Codes; specifications; ASTM reference radiographs; procedures; reports
13. Process control checks; formulas; conversions
This training will meet most certification documents for Level II Radiographic Testing such as SNT-TC-1A, and encompasses the subject matter listed in ANSI/ASNT CP 105 outline for liquid penetrant certification. Please verify that the employer’s written practice (document for certification of NDT personnel) allows for online training. Upon satisfactory completion of all training material and exams, a training certificate will be issued. Please secure this document in a safe location, as it may be needed multiple times throughout your career.
The instructor for this course is Gary D. Larson, who has 45-years’ experience performing NDT, including 35 years as a NDE Level III. He holds an ASNT Level III certificate in UT, RT, PT, MT and VT.
Note: Recommended reading assignments are provided for each lesson, which are listed at the beginning of the course. Completion of the readings and self-study is strongly encouraged and will add to the overall training benefit and time to be credited. It will also better prepare the student for the practical/hands-on session. It is recommended that the student keep a log of self-study time. It is also recommended that the applicable level III be involved and confirm that the reading and self-study assignments have been completed. This should become a part of the student’s training records.
Course Price: $945.00