Radiation Safety Course
This course provides an understanding of the basic principles and fundamentals of radiation safety applicable to industrial radiography. It addresses the 40-hour training prerequisite for the ANST IRRSP exam and equivalent radiographer certification exams administered by state radiation control agencies; the required training topics for radiographic personnel as specified in federal (10 CFR 34.43) and equivalent state radiation control regulations; and topics listed in Appendix A to ASNT CP-105-2011 (excluding neutron radiography). Learning outcomes are assessed using written quizzes at the end of each lesson and through a comprehensive final exam.
At the end of the course, students take a 100-question multiple choice final exam, on which the student must receive a passing score of 70% in order to be considered prepared for the formal exam from the certifying entity.
Our Radiation Safety course has been accepted for use by all 50 states with your RSO’s approved program.
The training is divided into twelve lessons:
1. Atomic Structure and Types of Radiation
2. Radiation Properties and Interactions with Matter
3. Radiation Units and Terminology
4. Sources of Ionizing Radiation
5. Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiation
6. Radiation Measurement and Instrumentation
7. Protection Against Ionizing Radiation
8. Radiation Control Regulations
9. Radioactive Material Transportation Regulations
10. Radiographic Equipment (X-ray and Isotope)
11. Radiation Safety Programs and Procedures
12. Case Histories of Radiography Incidents
- Is required for individuals seeking certification as an industrial radiographer.
- Satisfies training requirements for radiographic personnel established by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission and Agreement States.
- Conforms to guidance for radiographer radiation safety training specified in Appendix A to ASNT CP-105-2011 (excluding neutron radiography), Part E of “Suggested State Regulations for Controlling Radiation” – the model radiography rule published by the Conference of Radiation Control Program Directors, Inc., ANSI Standard No. N536, and IAEA Safety Guide No. SSG-11.
- Includes IRRSP exam study guidance designed to help students study and pass a state or ASNT radiographer radiation safety exam.
- Includes a certificate of completion provided upon successful completion of the course.
NOTE: There is RECOMMENDED READING assigned at the beginning of the course. The completion of these reading assignments in addition to self-study is strongly encouraged and will add to the overall training benefit and time to be credited. It will also better prepare the student for the practical lab/“hands-on” session. We recommended that the student keep a log of self-study time, that the applicable Level III be involved and confirm that the reading and self-study assignments have been completed, and that both logs and confirmations become part of the student’s training records, which may be used in conjunction with subsequent certifications.
Course Price: $1045.00