Ultrasonic Thickness Testing
This UTT course addresses the required training by documents controlling the certification program such as NAS-410, SNT-TC-1A and NavSea Technical Publication T9074-AS-GIB-010/271. This course content conforms to the training subjects listed in ANSI/ASNT CP-105, Standard Topical Outlines for Qualification of Nondestructive Testing Personnel. It is intended that the course shall include the online training as well as laboratory type hands on training under the direction of a level II or level III to meet the total hours of training required by the applicable certification document listed above.
The training is divided into ten (10) chapters. They include:
1. Ultrasonic sound and particle displacement; particle density and elasticity as it affects the velocity of sound; cycles; wavelength; frequency and hertz
2. Piezoelectric crystals; transducer parts; generating ultrasound; pulse echo and continuous sound transmission; equipment controls
3. Velocity as it relates to thickness determination; acoustic impedance; interface definition; ultrasonic wave modes and properties; mode conversion; refracted angles; Snell’s Law
4. Couplant; surface affects on sound transmission; sound reflection; near field and far field definition; attenuation definition
5. “A”, “B” and “C” scan presentations; digital read out and “A” scan ultrasonic thickness testing units; painted surface testing
6. Transducer capabilities; efficiencies; different types of transducers for testing; pitch catch transducer; connectors for transducers
7. Calibration standard types and materials; selection of equipment and transducers
8. Signal display attributes for “A” scan presentations; broad band and narrow band wave forms
9. Testing variables such as surface condition, doubling, gating, discontinuities and temperatures; records; types of couplants
10. Qualification and certification documents and a review of SNT-TC-1A
This training will meet most certification documents for Ultrasonic Thickness Testing such as SNT-TC-1A. Please verify that the employer’s written practice (document for certification of NDT personnel) allows for online training. Upon satisfactory completion of all training material and exams, a training certificate will be issued. Please secure this document in a safe location, as it may be needed multiple times throughout your career.
The instructor for this course is Gary D. Larson, who has 45-years’ experience performing NDT, including 35 years as a NDE Level III. He holds an ASNT Level III certificate in UT, RT, PT, MT and VT.
Note: Recommend reading assignments are provided for each lesson, which are listed at the beginning of the course. Completion of the readings and self-study is strongly encouraged and will add to the overall training benefit and time to be credited. It will also better prepare the student for the practical/hands-on session. It is recommended that the student keep a log of self-study time. It is also recommended that the applicable Level III be involved and confirm that the reading and self-study assignments have been completed. This should become a part of the student’s training records.
Course Price: $725.00